Join people with disabilities, our families, and advocates around the country on Monday, December 18th, for a national call-in day to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
The Senate and House have each passed versions of the TCJA, and on December 15, the conference committee passed out a final bill. The House will be voting on the final bill on Tuesday and the Senate shortly thereafter.
Senators and Representatives are feeling the heat. WE NEED TO BE LOUD AND CLEAR THAT WE OPPOSE THIS #TAXONDISABILITY AND WILL FIGHT AGAINST CUTS TO MEDICAID, MEDICARE AND OTHER PROGRAMS TO PAY FOR IT!!!!
This bill will hurt people with disabilities.
- It dramatically cuts the revenue needed to fund Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, housing, and other services that benefit people with disabilities.
- The estimated $1.5 trillion cut in revenue disproportionately benefits the wealthiest Americans and large corporations.
- Members of Congress who support this bill have already said that they next plan to make cuts to Medicaid, Medicare and other programs on which people with disabilities rely to address the federal deficit (which this bill increases by $1.5 trillion).
- The bill repeals the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that everyone have health insurance. This will cause premiums for people with disabilities and pre-existing conditions in the private market to increase, leaving health insurance unaffordable for millions.
- It also has provisions that directly hurt people with disabilities. For example, it reduces a tax credit that helps with the development of drugs for people with rare conditions.
Help us send a loud and clear message that this legislation is unacceptable! Call your Senators and Representative, especially if they are on our target list.
You can use this sample script and talking points.
After you call: email, write, or tweet!
You can RSVP and invite friends using the Facebook event.
You can sign up today to join our Thunderclap on Monday at 12pm EST to tell Congress to #VoteNo on this #TaxBill that harms older adults and people with disabilities.
A Thunderclap allows social media users to speak together – amplifying individual voices to elevate a single message above the noise. You can participate using Facebook, Twitter, or both.
To join the campaign and have a message automatically posted on your accounts on Monday, follow this link before NOON EST on Monday, December 18th.
American Association of People with Disabilities
Autistic Self Advocacy Network
Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
Center for Public Representation
Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD)
Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF)
Justice in Aging
National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities
National Council on Independent Living
National Disability Rights Network
National Down Syndrome Congress
National Health Law Program
The Arc of the United States
Please follow and like us: