National Call-In Day: No Tax on Disability!
Join people with disabilities, our families, and advocates around the country on Monday, December 11th, for a national call-in day to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
The Senate and House have each passed versions of the TCJA and the bill is in a conference committee to come up with the final bill. WE STILL HAVE A CHANCE TO STOP THIS #TaxOnDisability. Senators and Representatives are feeling the pressure, and we need a huge push NOW!
This bill will hurt people with disabilities.
- It dramatically cuts the revenue needed to fund Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, housing, and other services that benefit people with disabilities.
- The over $1 trillion cut in revenue is the “pay for” for tax cuts that disproportionately benefit the wealthiest Americans and large corporations.
- Members of Congress who support this bill have already said that they next plan to make cuts to Medicaid, Medicare and other programs on which people with disabilities rely to address the increased deficit caused by this bill.
- The bill has provisions that directly hurt people with disabilities. Because this is a conference to reconcile the bill that the House and that the Senate passed, any harmful provision in either bill could end up in the final bill. The bill have provisions that eliminate tax deductions and credits that help people with disabilities pay for high medical expenses, work, access housing, and get medication.
- It repeals the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that everyone have health insurance. This will cause premiums for people with disabilities and pre-existing conditions to increase, leaving heath insurance unaffordable for millions.
Help us send a loud and clear message that this legislation is unacceptable! Everyone should calls their Senators and Representative, especially if they are on our target list.
You can use this sample script and talking points.
You can RSVP and invite friends using the Facebook event.
Fact Sheet: How to Call Your Elected Officials (Autistic Self Advocacy Network)
Fact Sheet: The Top 5 Reasons the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is Bad for People with Disabilities (Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities)
Fact Sheet: Congress’ Tax Proposals Endanger Health Care for Older Adults (and people with disabilities) (Justice in Aging)
Fact Sheet: The Republican Tax Plan is a Tax on Disability (Center for American Progress)
American Association of People with Disabilities
Autistic Self Advocacy Network
Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law
Center for American Progress Action Fund
Center for Public Representation
Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (CCD)
Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF)
Justice in Aging
National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities
National Council on Independent Living
National Disability Rights Network
National Down Syndrome Congress
National Health Law Program
The Arc of the United States
Please follow and like us: