Call: the main Capitol line at: (202) 224-3121 (the TTY line is 202-224-3091).
- You will be sent to an automation. It will tell you to press 1 for your senators or 2 for your representative. Select an option.
- Then, it will ask you to enter your zipcode. Enter your zipcode using the buttons on your phone. It will read back what you entered, and ask you to press 1 if it is correct and 2 if it is not. If it is not correct, it will ask you to enter your zipcode again.
- From there, the call will go directly to your elected official’s office.
- Once you have made contact with the office, you can use this script:
What to Say
Hello, this is [Name]. I’m a resident of [Town, State] and [I/my child/sister/friend/co-worker etc] is a person with a disability who relies on Medicaid for health care and community support.
Congress is considering tax reform that could result in massive cuts to Medicaid to pay for tax breaks for the wealthy. 11 million people with disabilities rely on Medicaid for critical services that help them live and participate in their community.
I am asking [Representative’s Name] to oppose any cuts to Medicaid.
Thank you for taking my call!
[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address and zip code to ensure your call is tallied]
[Optional Add On]
Personal stories are the most effective form of advocacy. Talk about why is Medicaid important to you.
- If you or a family member are on Medicaid (including a waiver), what are the most important services to you? What difference has that made in yours and/or your family member’s lives?
- Access to critical healthcare or therapies
- Ability to receive in-home supports, residential supports or live independently
- Ability to work or go to a day program (so your family can work)
- What was your and/or your family member’s lives like before receiving Medicaid services?
- Are you or a family member on a waitlist for Medicaid services? How would getting services make a difference in your lives?