Call: the main Capitol line at: (202) 224-3121 (the TTY line is 202-224-3091).
- You will be sent to an automation. It will tell you to press 1 for your senators or 2 for your representative. Select an option.
- Then, it will ask you to enter your zipcode. Enter your zipcode using the buttons on your phone. It will read back what you entered, and ask you to press 1 if it is correct and 2 if it is not. If it is not correct, it will ask you to enter your zipcode again.
- From there, the call will go directly to your elected official’s office.
- Once you have made contact with the office, you can use this script:
What to Say
Hello, this is[Name]. I am a resident of [Town, State] and [I/my child/sister/friend/co-worker etc] is a person with a disability who relies on Medicaid for health care and services to live and participate in the community.
I am asking [Member of Congress’ Name] to vote no on any bill that cuts funding to Medicaid and to commit to protecting Medicaid, Medicare and other critical programs.
Thank you for taking my call!
[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address and zip code to ensure your call is tallied]
[Optional Add On]
Personal stories are the most effective form of advocacy. Talk about why is Medicaid important to you.
- If you or a family member are on Medicaid (including a waiver), what are the most important services to you? What difference has that made in yours and/or your family members lives?
- Access to critical healthcare or therapies
- Ability to receive in-home supports, residential supports or live independently
- Ability to work or go to a day program (so your family can work)
- What was your and/or your family members lives like before receiving Medicaid services?
- Are you or a family member on a waitlist for Medicaid services? How would getting services make a difference in your lives?